Toulon not only benefits from a privileged geographical location by the sea sheltered by the surrounding mounts, but also from a particularly sunny Mediterranean climate. Thanks to its offer regarding entertainments, accommodations and hospitality, the city has become a popular tourist destination. It cultivates an ideal and easily accessible living environment which favors soft modes of transport (for pedestrians, cyclists, roller-skaters, etc.).
The economy of the sea
The natural bay of Toulon represents an exceptional location to anchor a development strategy and an opening to the sea. Competitiveness, innovation and sustainable development allow our territory to position among the most attractive economic sites in Europe and in the Mediterranean. The "Technopôle de la Mer" (the Techno-center of the Sea) and the "Pôle Mer" (the Sea Pole) with a global competitiveness vocation are the angular stones of the economic development connected to the sea.
A port of call for expanding tourism
The port has experienced a significant rise in its activity, in the fields of cruises and ferries, which benefits tourism. Thus cruise passengers are more and more numerous to disembark in a port located in the heart of the city, offering easy access to the quay. In 2015, some stopovers will be made in the bay, because all the quays will be engaged.
Within a few years, the accommodation capacity has increased by 50 % and it is still going to increase thanks to the intervention of often local investors, which leads to expect a bright tourist future for the city.
The historic quarter
The historic heart of Toulon is being revived thanks to the help of the ANRU (the National Agency for the Urban Renovation) and the assistance of numerous partners. The City can meet the real challenges of the historic quarter such as the economic and commercial development thanks to the "Zone Franche Urbaine" (Urban Free zone) plan, which has become "Territoires entrepreneurs" (Territories for entrepreneurs).
Higher education and startups
Recapturing the city center involved the building of a state-of-the-art campus and the project of former Chalucet hospital, expected to become "the district of knowledge and digital technologies". Several structures accompany entrepreneurs in their project of activity creation or development and setting-up on Toulon's territory. Consequently, students have the opportunity to start their career in their hometown.
With 1,300 companies in the sector of the digital technology and 1,200 students trained in multimedia jobs every year at the new University center, the territory possesses the necessary assets to become one of the major digital ecosystems of Southern France. Consequently, Toulon has become a great place to live and work.
For developing its economy, the City of Toulon relies on various partners:
- Toulon Provence Méditerranée (TPM) urban community leads several development projects: a competitiveness cluster, the "Grand Projet Rade" (the Great Natural harbor project), a techno-center of the sea.
- The "Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie du Var" (The Chamber of commerce and industry of the Var Department) accompanies the development of companies and leads the economic fabric of the Var Department.
- The "Chambre de Métiers et de l'Artisanat du Var" (The Chamber of trade and crafts of the Var Department) organizes and develops the apprenticeship in the trade sector.
- The "Union Patronale du Var" (The Employers' Union of the Var Department) federates and informs 5,000 member companies (60,000 salaried employees) with which it maintains a permanent dialogue and acts in their interest.
- The State sets up local inter-services teams for supporting companies (ELISE) and mobilizes all its back-up and financing tools to accompany French companies.