The original building dates back to the 5th century, but no traces are left from it.
As for the XIth century building, it underwent several successive reorganizations. The rare witnesses of those times are one of the parts of the first Romanic cathedral where the baptistery is located and the 1239 engraved gravestone. The enlargement carried out in the XVIIth century includes the achievement of the Southern facade which four colossal columns and monumental door represent the second Provençal baroque. A 36m high square tower shelters a bell tower, topped with a remarkable wrought iron Provençal steeple. Since 1957, the cathedral has belonged to Fréjus - Toulon diocese.
Inside the impressive cathedral, the Corpus Dei chapel shelters one majestic altarpiece (sculptured decorations situated behind the altar) made of marble and stucco, representing God the Father, surrounded by a multitude of angels. Among the remarkable pieces of the building are two Pierre Puget paintings and the woodwork designed by Sénéquier in 1829.