Le Musée d'histoire de Toulon et de sa région
Jean Aicard, a member of the French Academy ("Académie Française"), and sculptor André Allar were, among others, at the origin of the creation of this Society. After several relocations, the former residence of the bishops of Toulon, situated Cours Lafayette, was allocated to the Society in October, 1946, and it settled down there definitively in January, 1949.
Since its creation, the Society has collected and kept documents dealing with the history of Toulon and its area, just like Octave Teissier Library and the collection of Pierre Letuaire's exercise books. Most of the gifts result from notables from Toulon, aware of the historical value of their properties. Old Toulon Museum spreads over 3 rooms: the History Room (inaugurated in June, 1966) which displays two big models, pads of sketches dedicated to the old city as well as the fortifications plans; the Sacred Art Room (fitted out in 1991) and the Temporary Showroom.
The Museum's collection contains two Pierre Puget terra-cottas, "Bergers en adoration" (Shepherds lost in adoration), Félix Mayol's portrait, bequeathed by his niece in 1961, a collection of ironworks or another very large-dimension painting which decorated the hall of the former Southern railway station, then implanted in the Commercial port. The society is also the testamentary administrator of Jean Aicard/Paulin Bertrand Museum. The Society offers its members access to a library rich in thousand titles, the organization of cultural outings, the implementation of workshops and the publishing of a magazine.
Find out more :
- Musée d'histoire de Toulon et de sa région
- 10, rue Saint-Andrieu - Toulon
- Tél. +33 4 94 62 11 07
- Open everyday from 3 pm to 6 pm except on Sundays and public holidays
- Read more information about Toulon City's museums